installing themes under gnome 2

Hi,

I have just installed GNOME 2.0 under Gentoo and it works fine but I have
trouble installing new themes. The theme selection tool from the control center
works well with pre-installed themes, but I simply can't install new themes. :(
I have tried with the Install button on the .tar.gz file, I have tried with the
install button on the uncompressed directory, I have tried to copy the
directory to the .themes and the /usr/share/themes folder but none of them
worked.

Browsing the list's archives I have found some messages about exactly the same
problem but no working solution - so I decided to post to the list..

Also, a question about window managers: gnome uses metacity as default, but
when I have tried to switch to enlightenment, for example, it just didn't
integrate with gnome really well - the gnome desktop appeared as big a window
which I could move around and stuff like that. (I've runned enlightenment by
setting the WINDOW_MANAGER env. variable).

Thanks for your help!
Balazs Miklos