Problems loading themes...

Hey all... I'm having problems loading themes and was wondering if any
of you could help me...

Here's the deal:

I download a theme and go into Gnome Control Panel, click on "Theme
Selector" and then click the "Install new theme" button and select the
theme i want to install and it does it's thing and uncompresses the
tar.gz file into ~/.themes correctly.  I then preview the theme from the
list and the theme looks fine in the preview box.  However, when I then
click the Try or OK button, it doesn't do anything to change the theme.
I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to the console screen with server messages and
such for my current X session and it says the following immediately
after I try to load a theme:

Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0x80001
Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0x2000001
Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0x1c00001

... and so on.  The number of messages differs depending on how many
windows i actually have open at the time I try to load the theme.  Does
anyone know what is causing this?  Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks much.
--
rdk:bitwize