I am kind of anti-theme

Hello All -
	I would just like to say that I have concerns over the direction
GNOME development has taken regarding themes. If I am incorrect in
any of these assumptions, please put my mind at rest.

My first worry is that it will be difficult to support, for
both freeware and especially commercial, an application written for a
desktop where the whole super-configurable "themes" thing is in
effect. I can just imagine the tech support call (or frantic email):
"The program just dumps core when I move my pointer of that little
round  thing that highlights like a dashboard from a '57 Chevy." or
"The help file says click on the button that says 'Send' but my theme
is lilac on neon green and I can't see what the buttons are labeled."
I guess that I am kind of insulted too, that I (as a program
designer) can put a lot of effort into the visual layout and general
aesthetics of a program I labor over for day, months, or years, and
some bonehead can come along and turn my attractive and intuitive
interface into the front of a Sony Discman(tm). I have never
found stereo equipment so fascinating that I would want to stare at
it all day on my screen.
	Here is something else I have been wondering: Since Red Hat has that
whole RH Labs thing going on with Raster working on GNOME, and Raster
also being the developer of Enlightenment, can I assume that RH will
ship GNOME as the standard desktop in their distribution? If so, will
E be the wm they ship? I am guessing that E will be the first (if not
the only) wm to be GNOME aware/compliant/whatever. Are any other wm
maintainers working with GNOME? Does scwm still plan on providing
GNOME support? So many people use RH, and it is often used as a
reference for software requirements (Redhat Linux 4.2 or equivalent,
etc.), that whatever wm they choose will be the one many, many people
use. It does not matter that you can remove it and install another
that is GNOME-aware or even one that is not, most people still will
never be able to do it, or they will be too lazy to be bothered with
the hassle. So I guess my real question is will there at least be a
"normal" looking theme that looks and acts pretty much how all
current popular GUIs act? Businesses do use Linux (and RH) a lot,
and they would not really need the theme-ability. They could use a
nice (serious)  desktop, though..  I actually have written my first
(and last) Enlightenment theme based on gtk/GNOME's current motif-ish
look. Just in case. :)
	Last thing, I am insane about the current look of gtk (and GNOME). I
have always liked the motif look. I guess qt and gtk prove that lots
of other people feel the same. The mouse-over highlighting used to
bother me ( gimp 0.60 anyone?), but it has really grown on me, and I
really miss it when it is not there. Not only that, but is is the
sharpest of the motif-ish toolkits. When I have run a kde app (eg
kedit), it looks so slick sitting there with the browserish
interface, all serious and complete looking. Then, I click the (very
pretty) "Open" button and I am presented with one of the ugliest file
dialogs in the world. And the illusion is shattered. Or when writing
a little script with kedit (sue me, I like Wordpad wannabes) and you
write enough lines to kick on the right scrollbar, poof, that
hideous, fat little bar with those chunky triangles makes me run for
an Xterm and joe. Or the drop-down listboxs in motif. I could go on,
but what I mean is gtk is one of the cleanest, sharpest (literally)
toolkits around. Even the little black lines around the default
selection are neat and unobtrusive. So in the pro-themers rush to
make gtk/GNOME look like a Boris Vallejo painting or H.R. Geiger's
garage sale, can I assume that I can flip a switch (or a #define
somewhere) and get the same ol' gtk I know and love?

Just my $0.02US

M.Watson redline at pdq dot net