Re: The concept from MUI (Amiga)

Joel Dillon wrote:
> > So widgets are a set of styles or specific graphical "hard-coded" stuff
> > like
> > sound-equilizers. So the configuration goes :
>
>   In what sense 'hard-coded'?

hard-coded the way, that it will not have any existing styles
implemented or some specific
stuff must be written new. And i think we should try not to have this
case often to occur.
Itīs better to have a bunch of style that exist, and you as a programmer
take what you want.
And as a next step you have the composite widget concept.

> > > ->
> > > ->  Another thing to do, is that all tools should check a central
> > > ->  configuration file.
> > > ->  (for example .gtkrc in $home) so that new installed tools will always
> > > ->  look like
> > > ->  the user configured his GTK to default. But any specific tool should be
> > > ->  reconfigurable to
> > > ->  another look.
> > >
> > > Yup.. thats the idea.. the theme/settings are "global"
>
>   Is the plan to extend .gtkrc to handle themes, then? (I'm interested
> in this because I'm working with some other people on an LGPL'd Qt
> and want to make it understand gtk configuration as far as possible)
>
> > ofcourse, you as the user once decided to tell how your applications
> > should look like,
> > and after that every gtk-tool (gnome-tool) will present its
> > user-interface in this style
>
>   How about different appearances for different apps, or is that not
> necessary?

sure, the ability must be given to reconfigure every element of a
specific application or do it
global. therefore i thought about a central tool that...

1. holds all existing widgets (and styles) in a list
2. sends messages to all gtk-applications to redraw with the new
configuration (when pressing update)
3. and collects all configuration screens out of the widget and
style-classes to bundle it in one
   tool, so that the user will love to customize his desktop.

and it would be very interessting if there would be a possibility to
tell a specific widget of an
application, "hey, i want to reconfigure you NOW!" - like the way
"editres" does sending messages
to its clients to get the resources-tree. any ideas ?

> > i just wanted to start writting a new widget called button2 as a
> > test-bed to implement the
> > first real styles and to have it seperated
>
>   I have some code (written for the free qt project) you can look
> at if you want. Email me if you want me to send it to you. It's C++
> (obviously) and uses imlib. It's pretty crude, I was just hacking to
> see how easy it would be to implement.
>
>         Jo
is it for qt or gtk ?

--