Gnome widgets, "white space", and themeability

I'm a user and certainly not a programmer, so tell me if what follows is
unnecessary or impractical or already implemented.

Looking at the screenshots of gnome apps, I've noticed that the spaces
between text strings, buttons, tabs, the window edge, etc.,all vary
quite a bit.  I find this aesthetically displeasing.  Very often there
is too little white space around the interface elements, making them
seem busy and too full-up.

My immediate thought was, hey, why don't we take a tool from the
typography people.  As I understand them, the Em and En units in
typography are spacers, chosen for their pleasing proporitons.  Em and
En spacers, of course, vary in size proportional to the typeface's size.
If gnome had standard smallish, medium, and larger spacers, all of which
scaled to the font you were using, the interfaces would be far less
resolution-dependent.

For instance, take a file open dialog.  Let's suppose that an 'Em'
space, by convention, separates window contents from the outer window
edge.  The 'Ok' and 'Cancel' buttons on the bottom are separated by a
smaller 'En' space.  The path text box rides one Em space above this row
of buttons.  Now, Em is defined as, say, 2/3 the point value of the
labels' font.  En is defined as 1/2 or 1/3.  When you set the font to
18, the whole dialog, I presume, would become larger.

The advantage to theme makers, besides the aesthetic, is to make the
positioning of interface parts predictable.

Looking at this now, the complexity of this may make it not worthwhile.

Thanks,
Justin