Re: [gnome-summary] Website for The GNOME Journal

I think we had a hour or so discussion in #gnome-summary yesterday I
think.  It is also what prompted me to send mail out yesterday as well
regarding getting some help on the translation and what not.

I think we want to preserve what we have because it's really simple to
pick up.  I'm all for simplicity because in about 2 years or so none of
us will probably be doing gnome summary.  So we need to make sure that
passing the baton can be done easily.  Problem with CMS and others is
that it's hard to do that because everybody has some experience with
some other CMS and have to learn a new one.

Shaun is coming up with a build system thats similar to what we have now
but it uses docbook and RelaxNG which are new w3 standards that will
make things very quickly.  He did a prototype already in 90 minutes.  As
I said in my previous mail, Shaun knows his stuff (his company Wolfram
pretty much came up with MathML).

The idea is that the new build system is something that will work for
Jim's Journal idea, Gnome Summary, and also the GNOME Documentation
project.  So I expect that it will simplify things internally making it
easy to do translations to other languages.  Currently the GDP is all in
english, and thats unfortunate.  So we're going to be doing some cutting
edge concepts in order to prove that we can come up with something
maintainable.

Most likely though we will have to have our web space.  We will have to
ask the d.g.o folks for permission to take over a portion of the
webspace.  I'm not sure how well that will be received.  But we won't
know till we try.

sri