Re: [gnome-summary] translation instructions

Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> writes:

> Here is my initial howto.
> Danilo, please correct.  I'm trying to write something for xml2po so that
> it's a little more help friendly. :-)

Great to see this ;)

Well, there's one more big issue here, and that's translating XSL
stylesheets.  I have done that for Serbian, but that part is not going
to scale so well, because XSLs haven't been designed to be translated.

I'll look into creating static POT file for XSL's, and making it
easier for you (or whoever) to merge their translations into XSL's (it
should be similar, but done just once per language).

Also, since XSLs didn't care about plural-forms, I suggest to keep a
directory per language for XSLs, because I had to tune all files in
order for Serbian to look better.

I'll post a separate message about that.

> NOME Summary Translation HOWTO

Trademark issues, or just a missed "G"? ;)

> This is a quick how to on how to do translations with GNOME Summary.  This
> is only an initial draft.
>
> 1) cd into web-devel-2/content/news/summary/po
> 2) take the inital xml file 200X_MonthDate-MonthDate.xml, and run
>    ../../../scripts/gnome-summary-xml/xml2po 200X_MonthDate-MonthDate.xml
>> 200X_MonthDate-MonthDate.po.language, where "language" is whatever the 2
> letter code for your language.

I think xml2po won't be able to find 'ignored-tags' and 'final-tags'
lists here (because it looks for these files in the current directory,
and they're in ../../../../scripts/gnome-summary-xml/).  It may be easier
to modify definitions for Gnome Summary inside code, and not to read
them in, because there should not be many changes in these lists of
tags (I used external files in the program so it would be possible to
easily work with DocBook documents as well, by keeping separate lists).

(You're also missing one level of "../" in the path to xml2po)

> 3) edit the the po file and do whatever translations are needed.
> 4) run ../../../scripts/gnome-summary-xml/xml2po -merge
> 200X_MonthDate-MonthDate.po.language >
> 200X_MonthDate-MonthDate.xml.language.

Again, one level of "../" is missing there, if one is inside "po"
subdirectory -- generally, paths need to be adjusted a bit ;)

Cheers,
Danilo