[gnome-slackware]Problems making sawfish work

Hi all,

    I'm having some problems making sawfish work in my just-installed
Slackware 9.0 box.
    I downloaded the sources and installed sawfish without problems.
    I'm setting the variable WINDOW_MANAGER to sawfish, so gnome-wm can
override its default window manager and launch sawfish.  However, something
is making gnome-wm launch wmaker instead!
    I think I'm missing something obvious, but I couldn't find it after
reading extensively the docs and mailing lists...

Thanks,
Alexandre Florio