[gnome-slackware]GNOME - monochrome?

Hello there,

I have a new problem.

I've set up an old computer with monochrome display (720x348x1) as an
X-terminal.

Now GNOME refuses to run there. The splash screen always crashed and
didn't let me in. When I disable the splashscreen, I get in, but the
panel keeps prompting the crash-message-box.

So, is it possible at all to run GNOME on a monochrome display?

BTW. gdm runs fine.

I now made a special user to log in with a different window system.
That runs okay, but I want my normal accounts to be able to log in.

Is it possible to forge a color display anyhow? What about Xnest?
Where do I find more Information about Xnest?

--
Tschuess
	Andreas