Can't change the menu

I'm using gnome 2.0 on RH 9. Recently, I upgraded from firefox 0.8 to 1.05, but I can't change the properties of the firefox item on the menu to point to it. When I try, I get an error that it cannot samve changes to the launcher: "Error writing file 'applications:/Internet/net-firefox.desktop': Read-only file system. I get this even if I'm logged in as root. I also get this if I try to add thunderbird to the menu. Does anybody know what's going on or how to fix it?

--
Things aren't always as they seem
skim milk masquarades as cream!