bonobo-activation-server hang

Title: Message
My RedHat ASE 3.0 system has been running fine for several month.  Today when I ran xpdf to look at a document, the window manager hung.  I could still get a console prompt to log into the system from one of the other virtual screens.

I did so and then reboot the system.  Note I got some message like drm_i380 wrote # expected a different number.

After the reboot, I can log in through GNOME but a process, bonobo-activation-server is sucking up all of the CPU cycles.  I ran a strace and found that it was calling a system function dealing with an futex.

I had another user login in and run GNOME and his session works fine.  I tried deleting all of my .gnome* and .gconf* directories and files in my home directory but to no avail.  Same hang.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Glen Warholic
Maryland STARS