Re: problems with gnome and png files

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 06:32, Bob Jaques wrote:
> I rebooted my Redhat enterprise ws yesterday and ran into a message
> "theme for graphical greeter is corrupt" I could not get by this screen
> so changed inittab and came up init 3 and ran startx
>
> all my png icons error
>
> Redhat support had me reload libpng and all the gnome kits and now
> things are much worse
> most applications fail such as terminal all fail with process has
> crashed due to a fatal error
> I have no png icons.
>
> This is getting frustrating. I reinstalled every kit with gnome in it [
> rpm -ivh --force ] also libpng and gdm.
>
> Am i missing some kit that is corrupt.
>

> I am desperate thanks
> bob

Something you can try to do is to login as root, cd into your
/home/yourname directory, and rename the .gtk* and .gnom* directories
and then login as yourself again to have Gnome recreate all of it's
settings/configurations and the likes - should this work, then you can
copy configs from your old directories to reflect your particular
configuration; or even create a new user and login as that...

That would give you a starting point to start trouble shooting the
issues.

HTH

--
stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm
frightened of the old ones. -- John Cage