Menu Editing In Gnome 2.6 (FC2)--Very Cumbersome

Just passing along some thoughts on menu-editing in Gnome 2.6 that comes with Fedora Core 2. I would be happy to hear of any plans to improve this capability in future releases:

Well, I think I finally got this menu-editing problem figured out. With the help of these two articles,

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18160

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/menuediting.html

and piecing together bits of information from the internet, I was able to clean up the menus as desired, adding menu icons that were missing, and making some of the menu listing names somewhat more meaningful.

The key to this whole thing is in the .desktop files as indicated in the two articles. The problem is 1) the .desktop files are not all located in the /usr/share/application directory, and 2) the name of the .desktop file is not always a "hint" as to the menu item it represents.

All-in-all, and hopefully someone from the Gnome development group will read these postings, menu editing in FC2's Gnome desktop, while do-able, is a real p-i-t-a. I'm not sure why this (I believe) basic desktop capability has been so overlooked but I hope it does get better as new versions of Gnome are released.

Regards,

Richard Huelbig