Gnome Login not displaying

I have a system that has been running for several months. On Wednesday of last week the the system crashed due to a heat issue that caused some filesystem corruption.

The system is booting fine now after the fsck but the Gnome console screen gives a message of: "Failed to start the display server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0". Xdm sessions to the box connect and I get an hourglass then the session disconnects. I checked all the logs for gdm and XFree86 and there is no errors present in the files.

Has anyone seen this error before and know how to resolve it. I was going to remove the X environment and reinstall it but redhat has everything so tied together with the RPM packages it is not easily done.

Thanks
Danny Foerster

TSG (The Selah Group)
Phn: 480 464-0328