Re: gnome window goes black for no reason with CADENCE tools

/"Larry W. Virden"  wrote:

>> PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
>>   The
>> only problem we have with
>> this approach is  "blackening" of any CADENCE window  when  we click on
>> gnome panel.

>Hmm - I wonder if what you are describing is different from what I tend
>to call "color map flashing" - the behavior that occurs on machines
>with 8 bit color video cards when X has to assign to the application its
>own color map, with different colors than those used in the general
>shared color map.

  NO  it is not "color map flashing" issue.  That issue was solved
  by using MATROX G550 video card which supports, so called,
  hardware overlays. It supports 8-bit color map in the same time
  as it supports 24-bit color map. Please see the original post.

  It is GNOME PANEL problem. If I switch between CADENCE
  windows with  CTRL+TAB combo,  "blackening" is not there

   or

   if I use KDE desktop, "blackening" is not there

   It seems to me that GNOME panel does not send appropriate
  X11 command to the X11 server to refresh the complete desktop

   There are two workarounds:

    A)  our CADENCE users should use CTRL+TAB combo
          (they do not like to do that, because most of them are
           "hunt,point,click" users

   B) our CADENCE users need to have at least  2 CADENCE windows
        permanently open and move mouse (without clicking)  between them.
       Such an  action (obviously) sends refresh request to the X11 server
       and CADENCE windows gets repainted.
       Even this solution is very annoying.

As I said, KDE does not have problems with "blackening" CADENCE
windows.  Unfortunately, It has other issues. We decided to standardize
on GNOME....  but....   see  above

Regards

Igor
/