customizing applications menu

Hello,
 i got a little question about the applications menu; in this
screenshot, visible at http://www.gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?
preview=2&id=18294&file1=18294-1.png&file2=18294-2.png&file3=&name=Munja
+Gnome , you can see there is a left-side image in the applications
menu. Well, I would add an image to my menu too.
 Does anyone know how to do this?
Maybe it's possible to add it in a very easy way on a standard GNOME
installation, but i 've a fedora core 3 running on my box, and you know
- red hat developers implement the gnome menus in a strange way
(basically, they're blocked). To add or change items or folders , i
studied the freedesktop standard; i can modify my menu only working
with .desktop, .menu and .directory files. I believe I shall back to
write about this.

I'm sorry if my english isn't good enough.

Thanks
Luca