Re: Ctrl+Alt not working

Owen Taylor wrote:

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 09:37, Toralf Lund wrote:
Maybe I've mentioned this before, but after upgrading to Red Hat 9, I started getting problems with my key map. Simply put, Ctrl+Alt combination does not work, or are caught by GNOME somehow, so I cant use Ctrl+Alt+F-keys to change VT, or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to logout.

Why does this happen?

Sounds like you are setting a custom keymap in some fashion -- prior to
XFree86-4.3.0 these keys were hard-coded in the server, in 4.3.0, they
were moved to being configured in the keymap.

Does that sound like a plausible explanation?
Possibly.

This appears to be a problem releated to config files supplied by Red Hat, though. From a bugzilla entry I just added:

I have found two different causes for this problem on two different setups:

One had a "real" /etc/X11/Xmodmap as opposed to the one supplied with xinitrc,
where everything is commented out, for historical reasons. (But this didn't
cause problems with earlier OS revisions.)

The other would (re)load the keymap via gkb_xmmap for the user that reported the
problem, because he was using the GNOME Keyboard Layout Switcher applet (which
calls gkb_xmmap by default.)

--
- Toralf