Installing w/ garnome

I am having trouble getting garnome to start running. I have compiled garnome using make install for the gnome-desktop and then for all of them (by doing make install in the parent directory). I followed the README's instructions and created a script and had /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc run 'exec garnome-session'. But it doesn't work. When I run garnome-session manually I have to do './garnome-session' and it just brings me back to my text login screen (i.e. it logs me out) ... Can anyone help?

I have to reinstall gnome b/c I installed a new verison of Xfree86 and overwrote all my config files etc. (saying yes to all the prompts during its script install)

Tom