Re: alert sound

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 12:10, David Shochat wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 20:12, David Shochat wrote:
> >
> >>echo -e "\a"
> >>
> >>and get an audible alert (bell) sound.
> >
> > Works for me ... you don't happen to have the X beep turned off, do you?
> > (gnome-keyboard-properties)
> >
> I checked that, and it appears to be set to "beep". So I guess something is broken for me. Would it be gnome-terminal?
> Or is it an X protocol request that is not being honored (in which case this is clearly the wrong place to be pursuing this)?

Well, you can check pretty easily if it's GNOME terminal ... just run
xterm and try it there (even easier than echo -e "\a" is just to hit
Control-G when inside bash)

You might want to check your X bell settings directly with 'xset q';
you can see Bell percent/pitch/duration.

If those are set to something reasonable, then it's most likely
a hardware problem. (Are the leads to your PC speaker connected?
Does it work in a virtual console?)

Regards,
                                         Owen