Re: .gnome vs .gnome2

Chris Majewski wrote:
Is  there a  document that  describes what  the .gnome  directory does
vs. the  .gnome2 directory? I would  also like to know  the meaning of
the following files/directories:

.gconfd
.gconf
.recently-used
.gnome-desktop
.metacity
.nautilus
.gnome2_private
.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2

I would  prefer functional descriptions ("stores  background colour of
desktop") vs.  jargon descriptions ("stores Nautilus  preferences" - I
have no idea what Nautilus is).

If only it were so simple.

.gconfd has state info and lock files

.gconf as the local/per user gconf xml files. custom preferences for every thing that uses gconf I think. any settings you tweak with
gconf-editor get save there.

.metacity has a list of sessions, but they just seam to reference some other storage.

.nautilus looks to store thumbnail images for the file manage (that's what Nautilus is) and metadata like window size, position, view style (icon, list and such).

.gnome-desktop is the Icons you see on the desktop, each file list the name, Icon to use, and what to do when you click on it.

.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 is for GTK themes, for gtk-1.2 apps.

Most of them have full path names, wich will cause problems is the Solaris and RHL paths differ. Example, I have a little house Icon that open a file manager window in my home directory. But it uses the full path instead of $HOME or ~. So if my home dir is mounted somwhere else on Solaris, it won't work. .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 has full paths too, so becarefull of where thems get installed.

	-Thomas