Re: Easy newbi questions

On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 07:40, GPennington wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I am running RedHat Linux 8.0
>
>     I have a couple of books on Gnome programming, GTK+/GNOME
> Programming by Peter Wright
>     and GTK+/Gnome Application Development by Havoc Pennington.

Be careful, these books are good, but much has changed from GNOME 1.x to
GNOME 2.x.

>     I have written an application, which all work fine, but now I want
> more.....
>
>     So I have a couple of questions:
>

>     1. How do I compile an application for the Gnome 2 libraries.
>
>     gnome-config seems only to return information for gnome-1.0, eg.
>
> > $ gnome-config --cflags gnomeui
> > -I/usr/include/gnome-1.0 -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H
> > -I/usr/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
> > -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include

You need the pkg-config command.  You use it in much the same way as
gnome-config.  Try pkg-config --help for more info.

>     2. Where is there any documentation on Gnome 2 library use?
>
>     Containing details on New Widgets and any that have changed.

Either the GTK+ tutorial:

		http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

or the API guides:

		http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/

>     3. How do I write a panel applet for Gnome 2?
>
>     is there a document, or a simple example peice of code.

Have a look at:

		http://g2as.sourceforge.net/

Keith.