Darn, broke my X or Gnome Need help to get it working

Hello everyone,

I knocked out my Gnome somehow, I believe.  I'm hoping somebody here can help.

The path to the problem goes something like this:

I finally upgraded my XFree86 to the latest RPM from RHN. Running up2date via Gnome was failing on something about a configuration file. Finally I tried installing it from the console command line (up2date -u). This time it said it had a problem with my /etc/X11 directory. So I renamed it. And did the same to /usr/X11R6. The install went just fine (well seemed to).

A boat load of other things also installed and I don't have a list, but they were from various RHN updates in the last couple of weeks. I am currently running kernel 2.4.20-24.8 from RHN (on a RH8 system).

I ran the xf86config to create a new XF86Config file supplying answers from the old config file. Tried starting via startx -> blank screen. Killed via Ctl-Alt-Bksp. Revised the config file to put in some things the xf86config left out. I was able to startx without errors (so says the log), but I get a colored pattern briefly at the top of the screen and then a white panel filling the upper left 2/3rds of the console and a prompt 'xxxx]# _ '. the _ is a white box with black outline the size of a character cell.

I think this is some variant of a window manager, but I am unsure. I cannot type in it like a console/terminal window. I just get a completely white screen if I try. I have to kill it with Ctl-Alt-Bksp.

I have looked in /etc/sysconfig/desktop and it has 'DESKTOP="GNOME"'.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can get my Gnome desktop back? I'll be happy to provide whatever information I can.

I could have attached the XFree86 log, but since there were no errors I didn't think it would be helpful. If someone wants it, or a part of it, I'll be happy to oblige.

Thanks,
-g