Re: gconfd startup failure

seth vida wrote:

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 10:50, Toralf Lund wrote:
One of our users keeps getting gconfd startup error messages on login - and other errors resulting in an unusable setup as a consequence. Other users can log in on the same system with no problems. gconftool-2 --shutdown does not help, neither does .gconf or .gconfd removal. We even tried changing the setup for login on an alternate home directory, but no luck.

All this on a Red Hat Linux 9 system.

What might cause this?

look at their .gconf and .gconfd directories. Make sure neither of them
is group readable or otherwise set.
Permissions appear to be correct - and the same for the user where startup fails, and the ones where everything is normal. Also, as I mentioned, there are alternative setups for the user, and one has a local home directory, one NFS-mounted. Login fails for both for the user in question, but login on a different host with the NFS home works just fine. (Also note that these logins were NOT active simultaneously.)

-sv