Re: Alt Gr...

Hi,

I have the same problems with Alt Gr button under X/Gnome... I have a german keyboard, turkish and swedish seem also to be affected.
Do you have any solution for this?
thank you in advance...
Most problems I've had were related to the use of xmodmap instead of the X keyboard extension.

To make a long story short, you should probably make sure that the files /etc/X11/Xmodmap and $HOME/.Xmodmap do not exist. Also, if using the Keyboard Layout Switcher under GNOME, make sure you configure it with the "xkb" variants (i.e. the ones thus marked in the language list) of the various maps.

Part of the problem is that the way some special keys are mapped have changed between XFree86 4.2, supplied with Red Hat 7.3, and 4.3, supplied with Red Hat 9. Since Xkb is really the only method that is supported these days, the xkb maps only have been changed for the Red Hat Linux 9 setup. I'd say that this is a *bug* - if Red Hat don't recommend using xmodmap, the (default) setup should probably not have the map files (especially when they are known to be incorrect), and certainly not a tool (i.e. the above mentioned applet) that more or less encourages their use.

- Toralf