Re: "File types and programs" vs "Preferred Apps"

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 09:50, Toralf Lund wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 22:43, Toralf Lund wrote:
> > > I'm a bit confused about "File types and programs" and "Preferred Apps"
> >
> > > under Preferences, as the functionality of the config tools seems to
> > > overlap a lot. While they don't set exactly the same preferences, the
> > > distinction between e.g. between "Default Web Browser" and "http
> > > protocol handler" (or should I say the "unknown" one - I think you get
> > > my point in any case) is not clear to me, at least.
> > >
> > > What exactly is the idea behind each of these tools? Should there
> > > perhaps have been *one* preference utility for these settings?
> >
> > Basically, one (file types and programs) handles mime type preferences,
> > i.e. what app to open for a file of some specific mimetype, whereas the
> > other (prefered apps) handles things on a higher level: What app to
> > launch for all http: uris (indepenedent of the type of file the uri
> > points to), and what terminal, email tool etc to launch when some app
> > needs one (e.g. when launching an app that has run-in-terminal=true).
> Yes, but "File types and programs" also has an "Internet Services"
> section, which specifies how different protocols (not file types) are
> handled. Isn't a "preferred web browser" the same thing as an "internet
> service handler" for http, or possibly the "Unknown service types" one?

Basically, the "file types and programs" dialog is complete crap, and
nobody understands how it works. Its targeted for a complete rewrite
with the rest of the mime system.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a maverick gay cat burglar who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
cosmopolitan punk pearl diver prone to fits of savage, blood-crazed rage. They
fight crime!