Funny behaviour with Preferences for Keyboard Shortcuts

Hi Folks,
  I am running Gnome 2.0/Redhat 8.0/Kernel 2.4.18-26.8.0 . I would like to set the keyboard shortcuts for Switching to various workspaces.

For workspace 1 : Ctrl-Alt-(numeric-keypad)1
For workspace 2 : Ctrl-Alt-(numeric-keypad)2
etc.

I am able to do this association and it shows up in the dialog as <Control>-<Alt>-KP_1.... But when I actually try to switch to a workspace using this key combo, nothing happens. Is this functionality supposed to work that way?

Regards
Suresh