Re: INSTALLATION of GNOME compliant programs...

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 23:37, Anthony Yulo wrote:
> Ei. i'm just new to linux and i'm getting help installing programs in linux
> mostly from reference books... and the book isntructs that installing
> programs is using the "tar" command and then after that "./configure" on the
> directory created by tar... and then "make install" right? now  to run the
> program i need to execute the script of that program in a TErminal window...

Some programs don't necessarily "insert" themselves into the Gnome menus
- but you can create a launcher for that program, or you can use
Nautilus to navigate TO the program binary and drag it onto your desktop
to create a launcher for it.

> But i want to make an entry in the Gnome Programs Menu, (icon entry), so
> that I can just click on that icon everytime i want to run a program.. i
> don't have to manually type the script in a shell...

You can modify this by opening Nautilus and in the URL field type:
applications :///

You'll then see the VFS entries for the menu(s) and can then make
launchers, or drag'n'drop items where you wish them to be...

> another question if i installed the program, by "make install", isn't the
> program and other files will be copied to the usr/bin directory?

You can use the "./configure --prefix=" to specifically point where you
want your program data and binaries to live. Some programs tend to stick
your binaries into the /usr/local/bin directory, so if you want them in
the /usr/bin directory, you can use "./configure --prefix=/usr" instead.

> Also, when i save the source file (.tar.gz file) in my home directory.. so
> everytime i execute the tar command, it generates a new subdirectory on my
> home directory... can i delete that subdirectory after installing?

After you've compiled and installed the program, you can blow out all
the directories created after you untar/ungzip the source. Unless, for
some strange reason, you want to keep that stuff cluttering up your
drive. Otherwise, they're useless aftwards.

Hope that helps ya out mate!

--
Sat Apr 26 08:20:00 EST 2003
 08:20:00 up 3 days, 14:45,  3 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.14, 0.07
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: skuhn telpacific com au |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: stephen kuhn gmx net    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |    msn: stephenkuhn hotmail com |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

You can rent this space for only $5 a week.