Re: Portmap

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Skip Morrow wrote:

> I did a search of the archives and didn't see this.
> Why do I need to have the portmap service running?  I don't like the fact
> that it opens port 111 on ALL interfaces.  Yeah, I know how to block it with
> iptables, and use hosts.allow and hosts.deny, but the fact is, it is still a
> hole that simply isn't necessary.  If I stop the portmap service, I get
> bunches of FAM errors whenever I run gedit.  Is there a way to stop the
> errors and not have the portmap service running?

Unfortunately fam uses portmap (for probably really stupid reasons), so
you can't get the FAM functionality without portmap for now. I've always
wanted to rewrite FAM to be sane, but I've had no time to do so yet.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a Nobel prize-winning playboy cowboy haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a
provocative kleptomaniac angel from a different time and place. They fight
crime!