WM choice

I have been trying to figure out the proper way to configure WM preference in RH8.0 Gnome. My most recent attempt was:
gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default /usr/bin/sawfish

If I check "save current setup" when logging out, this seems to stick (gconftool-2 -R shows sawfish after logging back in). However, it is still metacity that is running. I also tried setting window_manager/current as well as default. What am I doing wrong? I checked bugzilla and I don't see anything open for this.
-- David