Re: redhat 8.0/gnome 2 antialiased fonts

Nice someone agrees and I hope the lead developers and designers take
this point home for the next release. Again I don't mean this badly but
I have asked quite few people and agree on my observations and like the
look of the revised settings shown in my screen shot, whilst the anti
aliased font don't look worse as such they don't look any better (I know
this is subjective).   With anti-aliasing switched off the thinner fonts
I find make reading toolbars and menus much easier. Hate to make the
comparison but XP has nice thin anti aliased fonts on menus and
toolbars.

If the where a choice of a "thin" anti aliased font that would do but
the choice ifs fairly limited in font settings and I just can;t get to
get to look like that in spite of playing with all the rendering
settings etc found in the details menu in font settings..

The point I guess I want to make while it is a supposedly big selling
point for gnome2 I can't say I am convinced at this time, in this
release anyway but it could be an issue of fonts available (as it is the
first version using it) rather than an anti aliasing issue, to the new
user that it is immaterial.

I also think that for newbies and people who get first impressions of
the desktop this is important. I hope  that this might be considered for
the next 8.x release i.e. to achieve a default settings that gives a
more consistent look and feel between gnome1.4 and gnome 2.0 apps on
gnome2.

happy gnoming