Recovering from a crash

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to Gnome, but I have used *nix for some time. The problem I'm having has to do with an unexpected crash of Nautilus. I'm using Red Hat 8.0 and Gnome desktop 2.0.6-4.

I'm not sure what the cause of the crash was, but I was trying to directly view PDF files (as opposed to saving to a directory) from Mozilla, but upon completing the download nothing happened. That is, the helper application (xpdf) didn't kick in, so I downloaded the file and attempted to open it manually. However, when clicking on the icon for my home directory (on the desktop), Nautilus promptly crashed, removing the icons from my desktop but keeping the desktop background image in tact.

I still don't have desktop icons and now the desktop background image has disappeared, even after restarting my computer. Furthermore the nicely rendered Red Hat login screen has been replaced by the hideous XFree86 default login. How do I begin debugging this, and how can I get my old desktop goodies back?

Thanks,
-Dan