GNOME menus update

Hi,

An update on the menus saga.

First, the bad news. The menu editing added to GNOME 2.0.2 modified
the vfolder format somewhat such that it's incompatible with what
shipped in 8.0 (it would break KDE). As a result, just recompiling a
new gnome-panel version is pretty far from a shippable menu editing
errata; there's a good bit of code reworking required. (No I'm not
happy about this; the code should not have been written in a
GNOME-specific way, though I should have been paying more attention to
be sure it wasn't, I was busy doing 8.0 at the time. :-/)

So, what now.

In an effort to fix this problem only one more time, I posted the
following proposal which modifies vfolders in response to comments
from KDE and WINE developers:

 https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-November/000887.html
 http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html

So far response is favorable, as seen in the xdg-list thread. I'm
hoping that as a result we can nail down this way of doing menus
(getting the proper code upstream for both GNOME and KDE) and stop
having to revisit this issue.

I spent most of the weekend working on an implementation of the new
proposal, the implementation is around half done I think.

I'll get this code working as soon as I can, and we'll see what
happens. In the meantime, http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html
has some good docs.

Apologies all around for the mess.

Havoc