Re: RedHat 8 - MetaCity + Blue Curve Desktop Menu Customization

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:52:13PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
Requirements
Each end-user will run the same applications and the desktop panel. End-users cannot change the menus or panel.
Remove choices and un-necessary items from the menu.

I've deployed a desktop setup that had similar requirements.  I asked
around on the lists, and googled for a way to manage this and instead
came up with an ad hoc solution.

When a new user is created, I parse a generic Gnome environment setup
that I made beforehand to fill in the data needed for the new user.
adduser.local then installs this Gnome configuration into the newly
created home directory.
How about making some/all of the files root owned and not writable? Perhapse even use symlinks, again not changable by the user to a skeleton directory. so for example,$HOME/.gnome2/vfolders and the menu files inside. Probaby the same for some of the gconf key files (%gconf.xml) in $HOME/.gconf/

Locking gnome-panel might be a little harder. I'm not sure which files it uses/creates, or if they need to be writable for it to work. Havoc?

   -Thomas