Re: gnome 2 userspace?
- From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- To: gnome-redhat-list gnome org
- Cc: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- Subject: Re: gnome 2 userspace?
- Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:17:43 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas Dodd <ted cypress com> writes:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >I'm currently making packages for gnome 2 user environment. These do
> > NOT coexist with 1.4 - e.g. the new gnome-panel obsoletes
> > gnome-core, and control-center and nautilus are just upgraded.
> >These packages are going to be very, very untested, too, since I just
> >made them. They're on skipjack for now but may soon move to a new
> >rawhide libc.
> Will the rawhide libc work in skipjack and what ever the real
> release it's a beta for?
Yes, and no:
- Yes. It should be backwards compatible with the skipjack beta.
So, you could install it, and most likely your system wouldn't
disappear in a cloud of smoke.
- No. You wouldn't want to switch remotely production systems to
it unless you had a large dose of fix-it-yourself energy.
RPMS built against it won't be compatible with
the-release-that-skipjack-will-be and there would be typical
(But I've been running with a libc similar to this for 4-5
months without any problems.)
Havoc ... maybe when we switch to the rawer rawhide, we need to start
building everything twice against skipjack and the rawhide tree?
I don't think we want to ask people who want (very bleeding) GNOME to
switch to a new (somewhat less bleeding) glibc/compiler/etc.
I'll certainly want to be doing this for GTK+ and its dependencies.
] [Thread Prev