Re: new packages in gnomehide

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 09:00, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I don't think it's actually faster, it just renders things so it looks
> faster. Much as people mistakenly think opaque resizing is slow in GTK
> 1.2, because it flickers.
>
> Havoc

I'll agree with Havoc. I've never been a big nautilus user, though it is
kinda cool, so I checked it out again when I saw your speed message.

On a directory with 28 items, I can do a hard one one thousand count
before everything is rendered. To me, that seems a little slow or at
least as fast as it always was. In a directory with fewer items, it's
much quicker.

Without sounding critical, or like an idiot hopefully, i'm guessing part
of the percieved slowness lies with gnome. I hung out for a few days on
the gnome-devel IRC channel, bought HP's book, did a little research,
etc. Seems like 1.2 is inherently slow at things, redrawing windows
after a resize is my personal pet peeve (I think this is handled by
GDK??). Anyway, the gist I caught from the developers was that it's a
known issue and already been fixed and when we all migrate to Gnome 2.0,
we're in for a major speed improvement.

HP is the resident expert, so if I misunderstood, please enlighten me.

So what part did you consider faster? Just curious.

--
Christopher Keller
Systems Engineer