Re: first time user experiences

> It's not the standard but you don't want to have to use bizarre
> preferences that are hidden and easy to completely screw up to get a
> usable terminal at 800x600.  The panel at least is relatively intuitive
> to change the size of.

where relatively intuitive means - buried 4 menus down if you
right-click on the panel?

cmon. - its not more intuitive than the default menubar with the
"Settings" section on the terminal?

> > one more thing is the new gnome-terminal going to include a "I just want
> > to have THIS terminal in THIS font RIGHT now, not for all the new
> > terminals, forever" option? That has been a complaint of users (and of
> > my own).
>
> Definitely.  I'm pretty sure Havoc will agree here as it seems to be one
> of the ideas behind profterm (the terminal program he's writing for
> gnome2)

yay!

> The tabs are a little less easy to potentially get to by accident though
> being hidden down inside a submenu.  With galeon, it just sort of jumps
> out at you.

tabs are off by default in galeon.  - thats nitpicky - but galeon has
neato-keen bookmarking things that make me think happy thoughts - where
mozilla has some god-awful things that make me cringe.

this is not a huge deal - but I do think consistence widgets make a
difference. And the default mozilla widget is not that close to the
raleigh gtk theme. That, unless i'm on crack is the default for a stock
login.

> And the hard part is making a desktop that works for both of these tasks
> which have two relatively independent sets of needs.

imo - it would be nice to have a standard location for all "Default
configs" for gnome apps - so that the sysadmin need only munge around in
/etc/gnome/appnamehere to set the defaults.

this can all happen in their %post of their install, of course :)

but A LOT of gnome apps do dark magic in their config and their
locations are a mishmash so its SO MUCH FUN to figure out where the
defaults are.

-sv