The ppd file for the CUPS printer xxxx could not be loaded.

Hi all.

It used to be that when I opened a ( gnome ) print dialog from an app such as gpdf, evince, abiword, etc, it would detect the default settings of the selected printer - I assume it was inspecting the ppd of the printer. This is no longer working.

When I open a print dialog, I get a stream of messages:

---

Model not found, discarding config

(evince:22540): GnomePrintCupsPlugin-WARNING **: iconv does not support ppd character encoding: ISOLatin1, trying CSISOLatin1 GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer Laserjet4050 could not be loaded. GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer Laserjet4500 could not be loaded. GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer RicohAF2027 could not be loaded. GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer RicohAP3200 could not be loaded.

---

The setting that I'm most interested in at the moment is the default paper size. Other apps ( eg OpenOffice ) correctly detect that all my printers are A4 printers. All gnome apps that use the gnome print dialog insist on defaulting to Letter sized paper.

I'm running CUPS-1.1.23 on server and clients ( both Gentoo Linux ). All printers are of course shared via CUPS IPP from the server.

I'm also running Gnome-2.12.1.

Any ideas?

--
Daniel Kasak