Re: Hacktext availability

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 04:51:53PM -0400, Thomas J. Duck wrote:

>      I am a developer with the plplot project, and have been using the
> Hacktext Item for our text needs on the Gnome Canvas.  For plots, we need
> to be able to rotate text and do other transforms, and Hacktext works very
> nicely in this regard.
>
>      My questions are:
>
> 1) Can you make the Hacktext interface public?  It's currently private.
There are no plans to do this, and I would be against such a change.
gnomeprintui is the wrong place for that code to live.  We are
moving towards pure pango for text rendering.

> 2) Alternatively, would it be possible to transfer Hacktext (and other
>    required files) to the GnomeCanvas, so that others can benefit from
>    this work?

It's possible, although gnomecanvas is not seeing alot of
development right now.

I'd reccomend just cloning the code into your project (it's lgpl).

PS
>      I am a developer with the plplot project
Interesting.  We've been working on a plotting library in gnumeric
as part of libgoffice.  We should compair notes at some point.