Re: [patch] dbus printer addition/removal notifications

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 08:15:27PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patch for libgnomecups adds optional DBus support for getting
> notification of printer additions and removals.  This avoids polling the
> system cupsd every 5 seconds and filling up the logs.

The structure of the patch is fine, but I'm not entirely comfortable
with the dbus interface for a few reasons.

> +	if (dbus_message_is_signal (message,
> +				    "com.redhat.PrinterSpooler",
> +				    "PrinterAdded")) {

- That seems like an odd namespace.  I can't see the cups folk
accepting that.  When it does land we'll need to change things.

- The cupsd tends to do a rather poor job of noticing new hardware.
I've been expecting to get dbus notifications from hald directly
when things were connected.  Or are you do you want
    hald -> cupsd -> libgnomecups
so that cupsd can also trigger on new network printers