Re: new module: eggcups

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:23:12PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Then again, maybe the management parts of g-c-m should
> > be pulled into gnome-system-tools...
>
> My thoughts on this are that ideally, there would be no need for system
> tools at all.  For example instead of "Add Printer", you dynamically
> detect printers being plugged in, and configure them, prompting for a
> driver if necessary.  This already partially works with the HAL backend
> for CUPS (modulo driver prompting).  With the patches Matthias and I
> have made for libgnomeprint, they then show up in your print dialogs
> automatically, while the print dialog is open even.

Not to nitpick, but I think you're still goign to need something like
system tools for adding printers that still use the parallel port or
something like that.  Even though today's printers are USB we should
attempt to support old printers as well.

Ideally, those legacy devices could be taken care of during the
install and it'll create HAL hardware definition files that you
could read to determine legacy devices.

> > Of course, this may have been already discussed as it appears Ximian
> > (g-c-m) and Red Hat (eggcups) are both working on desktop printing.  I
> > hope they are not working independently... :)
>
> I don't think so, we talk often on gnome-print-list, and I'm really
> happy with the work we have going so far.

We should probably move this thread to gnome-print-list.

sri