Re: libgnomeprint .so versioning

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 01:37:44PM -0600, Chema Celorio wrote:
> A)
> Library: libgnomeprint-2-2.so.400
>
> B)
> Library: libgnomeprint-2-4.so.0
>
> The benefit of this option is that the package, release and library name
> make sense. It also allows people to have both gnome-2-2 and gnome-2-4
> libraries installed. The downside is that apps need to be recompiled and
> users need to upgrade their libgnomeprint because the packages for the
> apps will require it.
>
> I am leaning toward option B at this point.

- The requirement to recompile is only relevant if an app uses api's
  added to 2.4 with a parallel installable 2.2 things can continue
  to use the older versions if necessary.

- Given that the api will change in 2.4 as things like cmd line
  handling and pango support improve.  I don't see alot of options
  other than (B)