libgnomeprint .so versioning

I've been trying to figure out what .so numbering to use for
libgnomeprint. The current branches have the following numbers:

Version 1.116.x
---------------
Branch:  gnome-2-0
Library: libgnomeprint-2.so.0
Package: libgnomeprint

Version 2.2.x.y
---------------
Branch:  gnome-2-2
Library: libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0
Package: libgnomeprint22

For head (which will become gnome-2-4) I see two options:

A)

Version 2.4.x.y
---------------
Branch: trunk
Library: libgnomeprint-2-2.so.400
Package: libgnomeprint22

The benefit of this option is that apps compiled with the gnome 2.2
version of libgnomeprint will still continue working, the downside is
that
(package) libgnomeprint22 provides (release) libgnomeprint 2.4
and
(relese) libgnomeprint 2.4 provides (library) libgnomeprint-2-2.so

B)

Version 2.4.x.y
---------------
Branch: trunk
Library: libgnomeprint-2-4.so.0
Package: libgnomeprint24

The benefit of this option is that the package, release and library name
make sense. It also allows people to have both gnome-2-2 and gnome-2-4
libraries installed. The downside is that apps need to be recompiled and
users need to upgrade their libgnomeprint because the packages for the
apps will require it.

I am leaning toward option B at this point.

Comments? ideas?

regards,
Chema