Re: Printer driver UI [proposal]

Chema Celorio wrote:
This might be a good time to also raise the issue about the
limitations that the having a PPD based print system is imposing upon
us. The PPD format was designed some time ago and we are using it for
more complex definitions. The gimp-print guys have expressed this too
giving as an example trying to specify a color correction curve on a
PPD file, or how they have to fill a range of values like options to
accommodate for a floating point setting.

As many people have demonstrated (including me with the CUPS 1.2
code), it is entirely possible and feasible to provide additional
attributes/data embedded within the PPD file while providing backwards
compatibility for the large number of applications and systems that
support PPD files...

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike easysw com