Re: Aliases in 2.2.x

Around 15 o'clock on Feb 17, Martin Kretzschmar wrote:

> Font newbie meets PDF. Your worst nightmares come true ;-).

Yeah, true enough.  I've got this PS-alike printer with the worst "Times"
font I've ever seen...

> We just have to careful wrt trademarks

Fontconfig is quite careful in this regard.  In talking to font foundries,
the main concern is advertising a particular family name in an application
menu when no real such font exists in the system.  Because fontconfig
aliases are applied during matching and are not visible otherwise,
applications displaying a list of available fonts never see the synthetic
names.

> At the moment there's no API in gnome-print to access fontconfig (except
> that it provides the standard aliases `serif' etc).

I thought the plan was to migrate gnome-print to fontconfig so that it
would share font configuration with the rest of the environment.  If there
are issues with this migration, let's get them solved.

-keith