Re: Aliases in 2.2.x

Chema Celorio wrote:
> I was thinking of the simple case where a font name is matched, more
> than full fonconfig behavior. fontconfig pattern matching is more
> complex than just the name, if people want to have the full fontconfig
> behavior a different API is needed where Apps deal directly with
> fontoconfig and pass a FCPatternt for gnome-print to convert to a font
> (which can be done). That is not how the current font API works. Dealing
> directly with fontconfig is more work than the current API, I'll wait
> for an developer to request this feature for an app where it would make
> things easier for printing to add it.
> <snip>
>
> Font substitution is a different problem. Which is not addressed
> (fully?) by fontconfig. Doing the well known aliases is not the same as
> asking for the best match of font "Perpetua bold italic". Fontconfig
> matches by names, and only a handful are defined in fonts.conf but doing
> good font matching is a lot more work.

I think I need one of the two features for GPdf. It needs fine
substitutes for Times, Helvetica and Courier. For GPdf Times != Serif.
Times has to look like Adobe's Times. ATM I just ask unconditionally for
GhostScript's URW Nimbus fonts. I thought doing a fontconfig match for
"Times,Nimbus Roman No9 L,Times New Roman:style=Regular,Roman" was The
Right Thing. However I don't know how to get the result transformed into
a GnomeFontFace.

	Martin