Re: Builtin printer fonts

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 12:40, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to use gnome-print to write a scientific graph plotting package
> (wheels are there to be reinvented!).
>
> Is it possible to select one of the standard postscript fonts in the
> postscript output rather than embedding a font? I haven't been able to
> find the names I should use! Embedding fonts makes the generated
> postscript files too large to make useful figures.

I don't believe this is possible currently; gnome-print always embeds
all fonts so that the output is predictable.

The solution to the size problem isn't to use standard fonts, but
rather to do subsetting of the fonts as they are embedded. The results
will still be a little bit big, but should be a lot better. (And
a *lot* better for CJK text.)

Unfortunately, that's still not implemented. Sivan Toledo, who did
the subsetting code used Qt, expressed willingness to license the
code under some terms that could be used for GNOME, but nothing
much has been done in that area.

Regards,
						Owen