[Gnome-print] request for additional functions

Hi,

I'm porting a program from MS Windows to Linux/Gnome, aiming to reproduce
the same functionality and interface. It took a little hacking to get the
printing interface the same, and I just got it all working yesterday
afternoon, a few hours before the announcement of v0.35, which has messed
things up a bit.

I'd like to register a plea for greater generosity in the functions made
available to developers, in the interests of flexibility, providing
whatever developers might need, rather than only what they certainly
will.  I need to be able to display printing settings in a custom dialog
box, and to initialize a GnomePrinterWidget with those settings when
necessary.  I find it extraordinary that this facility is apparently not
provided, especially since it takes only a little hacking (or it did under
v0.34).

I need functions gnome_printer_profile_duplicate..  and
gnome_printer_profile_free..., which are trivial (the latter already
available but defined "static" and missing a g_return_if_fail...), and
gnome_printer_widget_set_profile..., and I also need access to the
GnomePrinterWidget in a GnomePrintDialog.  A function
gnome_printer_widget_set_profile... could be neatly done and worked, as I
recollect, perfectly under 0.34.  Under 0.34, the profile could be set from
the profiles list in GnomePrinterWidget.  Access to the profiles is lost in
0.35, and for me to initialize from an external profile raises the question
as to whether or not the memory (which I have allocated) will be freed by
gnome-print when the dialog closes.  Certainly I've had crashes when
freeing the memory myself.  Furthermore, under 0.34, I think the
GnomePrinterWidget was all correctly initialized, but under 0.35, only the
option_menu is initialized, not the entries, radiobuttons etc.  I haven't
yet had time to sort out whether these two problems can be overcome, I
expect I will just revert to 0.34.

Currently, to implement the above, I need myself to define structures
GnomePrinterProfile, GnomePrinterWidget and GnomePrintDialog.

I should be glad to see a version 0.36 which provides the facilities I need
without hacking!  I would ask whether it would not be sensible to restore
the profiles to GnomePrinterWidget, and to use ...duplicate and ..free
functions to store the lastprofile variable.  I notice also there are a
couple of lines left in gnome_print_dialog.c  to the effect:

#ifdef  0
                   ...gpw->profiles.....

but profiles is no longer a member of structure GnomePrinterWidget, unless
this is a special case.  I am sending this from Windows, so do not at the
moment have access to the code.

Regards,
and with appreciation of the efforts of the gnome-print team,
notwithstanding certain frustrations,

David J. Cooke