Re: GPdf uses gnome-print

Chema Celorio <chema ximian com> writes:

>> In http://primates.ximian.com/~chema/gnome-print-ols.txt there's item
>> ``G2- Move the print preview to use gsview.'' Is that still a goal?
>
> It is. The reason of moving the print preview somewhere else is to have
> less code to maintain inside gnome-print. If gpdf can substitute the
> print preview, the better.
>
> I've been meaning to 'outsource' as much of gnome-print as possible, we
> no longer have the fontmap code which was the most problematic part of
> gnome-print.

When I switched from gnome-print 2.0 to 2.2 I missed the font
aliases. Especially with Ghostscript/URW's fonts. A properly-installed
gnome-print 2.0 provided Times Roman, Helvetica, and the other Base-14
fonts, if the Nimbus fonts were found on the system. That's impossible
with the new gnome-print. Was this feature removed/not reimplemented
by intention?

Another question: are there any plans to support embedding of fonts
not in fontconfig? As you know, pdf files often embed font files. For
printing/viewing these with gnome-print gpdf has to extract them from
the pdf and somehow download them to gnome-print.

> So yes, it would be great to take the print preview out and outsource it
> too,

Ooh. Actually I just asked because I was afraid the print-preview
could disappear.

> moving the PDL to pdf is also a step forward.

With gpdf? The pdf processing is done by Xpdf code which is not _L_GPL.

	Martin