Re: [Gnome-print] Glyph placement with respect to bidirectionalstrings

Hello!

On 17 May 2001 10:51:46 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> brendan owens <brendan.owens@sun.com> writes:
> > Hi all,
> >  If Pango deals with the direction and placement of glyphs to a display,
> > how does Gnome print deal with the same with respect to documents?
>
> It will deal with it using Pango, eventually. There is nothing display
> specific about Pango.
>
> (The details of how gnome-print will interact with Pango still have
> to be worked out, but the goal is certainly to use Pango as the
> text layout engine that positions glyphs for gnome-print.)

I once sent proposal about gnome-print/Pango interaction (08.May
gnome-print list), but have not got any feedback.
If nobody comes out with better idea, I'll have to start one day hacking
on following infrastructure:

PangoFont wrapper around GnomeFont (reverse would make more sense, but
I do not know what will be font-management, installation etc. tools
for Pango/scalable fonts).
Pango version that generates glyphlist-based layouts.

Please notice, that both these belong to frontend/convenience wrappers.
Gnome-print core engine will not use Pango (and it has no need for it,
as it does not deal with human-language strings).

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski