Re: [Gnome-print] Re: Gnome printing issues

begin  Mark VanderWiele/Austin/IBM quotation:
> OK,  Thanks for feedback.   We will look at the Java dependency and
> or the use of jikes for the OMNI build process.   Where does this
> fit in the priorities against Photo quality printing and support for
> about 100 more printers?

	I'm afraid it's a bit of a showstopper, unfortunately.  If you
can't redistribute it, it's not going to be included in the
distributions!  If it's not included in the distributions, then it
kind of defeats the purpose of getting great printing going under
GNU/Linux.

	I understand that it can be frustrating; after all, you're
using publically-available gratis tools, and you're giving us your
codebase to use and modify.  Please don't feel that we're taking your
contributions lightly!

	When RMS gives his lectures, he cautions that many vendors
will try to offer proprietary programs as "value-added packages".  He
notes that he prefers to think of them as "freedom-subtracted
packages".  While Stallman's views are on the extreme side of the
morality/practicality spectrum, they are the official views of the
Free Software Foundation, the GNU project, and thus the GNOME project
as well.

--
Nick Moffitt, Professional Services